The Vermont Financial Literacy Commission was created by the State Legislature in 2015. The 12-member commission was established to measurably improve the financial literacy and financial capability of Vermont's citizens. The enabling legislation defines financial literacy as, "the ability to use knowledge and skills to manage financial resources effectively for a lifetime of financial well-being." Financial capability is defined in the law as having "financial literacy and access to appropriate financial products; and the ability to act -- including knowledge, skills, confidence and motivation; and the opportunity to act -- through access to beneficial financial products and institutions."
- Beth Pearce, State Treasurer, co-chair, or designee, seat legislated
- John Pelletier, Champlain College Director of the Center for Financial Literacy, co-chair, Governor's appointment from the Vermont State Colleges, University of Vermont or an independent Vermont college
- Mark Perrin, designee from the Agency of Education, member State Board of Education, seat legislated
- Martha Reid, Vermont State Librarian, Governor's appointment representing the Executive Branch
- Courtney Poquette, Business Educator, Winooski High School, appointed by the Vermont NEA
- Justin Brown, Assistant Principal, Colchester High School, Governor's appointment based on nominations from the Vermont School Board Association, Vermont Superintendents Association and the Vermont Principals Association
- Scott Giles, President and CEO of the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation, or designee, seat legislated
- Lisa Falcone, Working Bridges Project Director for the United Way of Northwest Vermont, Governor's appointment from a nonprofit entity
- Mary Niebling, Capstone Community Action Agency, appointed by the Office of Economic Opportunity
- Thomas Leavitt, President and CEO of Northfield Savings Bank, appointed by the Vermont Bankers Association
- Yvonne Garand, Senior Vice President at VSECU, appointed by the Association of Vermont Credit Unions
- Linda Tarr-Whelan, Consultant with Tarr-Whelan & Associates, Governor's appointment representing the public
Below are resources presented at commission meetings.
All meetings are warned through the event calendar located on the Vermont Department of Libraries web site. For questions regarding the work of the commission, please contact the Vermont State Treasurer's Office, at (802) 828-3706 or via email at email@example.com